Onward Search is looking for an Industrial Designer with experience in soft goods product design to join our client in the Smyrna/Vinings area of Atlanta for an onsite contract-to-hire opportunity!
- The Industrial Designer is a fast-paced and rewarding product development role responsible for creating, maintaining, and executing the design of innovative products within the DIY, soft/hard goods, home repair, and automotive industries.
- The employee will conduct research, conceptualize, prototype, and refine concepts into real world products that meet given criteria.
- Graphic and product teams are composed of a tight-knit group of unique individuals working closely together, often engaging in joint critiques and design discussions. Collaboration is a key to the success of our company so the ideal candidate for this role must have the ability to mesh with all members of the team and add to the literal and figurative design conversation.
- You will be responsible for helping to lead and support industrial and product design for 30+ brands and 1600+ SKUs, so an ability to move quickly from project to project, product to product, and brand to brand is critical.
- This is a small, nimble company and there is no room for ego... everyone on the team is focused simply on getting the job done!
- Please note: this is NOT a CAD Engineer role, although CAD experience is helpful.
- Create and execute designs for consumer product goods focusing on the DIY, hardware, home repair, and automotive industries. Focus is on soft goods, not electronics or “engineered” hard goods.
- Use sketching and visual rendering skills to develop and design new products and concepts.
- Produce innovative product designs and supporting material to communicate ideas to internal teams, clients, and factories.
- Develop and design product concepts against pricing, design, and brand specifications.
- Review prototype specs against initial designs and recommend changes.
- Take consumer insights to create compelling, innovative, and commercially viable products.
- Maintain knowledge of competitive products
- Participate in and help lead creative meetings
- Collaborate with other graphic design, product design, and marketing team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design.
- 3-6 years of professional industrial design experience in either an agency or a highly creative corporate environment with a focus on soft goods product design.
- Must be an expert with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) and comfortable designing on a PC.
- Experience in model making and a working knowledge of prototyping.
- Experience in Rhino, SolidWorks, or similar CAD programs preferred but not required.
- Experience hand sketching and illustrating designs and products preferred.
- Must be a builder by nature and have a functional and practical understanding of the products being designed.
- Prior experience working with large CPG brands preferred.
- Must be highly motivated, entrepreneurial, energetic, and creative with a positive attitude and a willingness to get the job done.
- Creativity, creativity, creativity.
- Stellar work ethic.
- Strong team and communication skills.
- Willingness to take direction, accept constructive and honest criticism, and apply feedback.
- No fear of working quickly under set deadlines.
- Time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects at once while meeting deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Online or PDF portfolio REQUIRED and must be submitted at time of application. The ideal portfolio will showcase a variety of products in the DIY, home improvement, or automotive categories (like tool belts, work gloves, tool bags, kneepads, etc.).
Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- Onward Search is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in an employment with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to be considered for employment. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The client is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- Onward Search is a drug-free workplace.