Onward Search is looking for a lead-level UX Researcher with specific experience in qualitative research to join our prominent corporate client in Columbus, Ohio, for an onsite direct hire opportunity!
PLEASE NOTE: While this position is located onsite in Columbus, candidates from outside of that market are encouraged to apply. A generous relocation package is available. Remote candidates will NOT be considered.
- You will plan, coordinate, lead, and conduct user research including, but not limited to, observation lab studies, ethnographic research, iterative usability tests, phone interviews, as well as co-design, ideation and other types of workshops with groups of customers, designers and/or business stakeholders.
- You will be responsible for identifying and communicating user needs, behaviors, frustrations, confusions, and insights as well as act as the user advocate within the organization. Users include external customers as well as internal stakeholders.
- You should have expertise in user experience research methodologies and best practices and will be responsible for determining the “desirability” of opportunities by engaging, observing, and interviewing users (consumers to businesses to employees).
- You will identify key user insights and help the team turn those deep insights into “things” that could be created to meet those needs.
- You will partner with designers to take their low to high fidelity concepts and get “real” feedback from users to better understand user needs.
- This role places a specific emphasis on qualitative research studies, methods, and solutions. Prior experience and work samples should focus on that specific type of work.
- Serve as an SME about qualitative research methods, studies, and solutions.
- Plan, coordinate, lead and facilitate user research studies leveraging various methodologies including, but not limited to, observation lab studies, ethnographic research, iterative usability tests, phone interviews, and co-design, ideation and other types of workshops
- Compile study data and analyze to develop personas, behavioral patterns, user stories, actionable findings and other relevant insights to communicate the user perspective
- Prepare and present insights and user stories to infuse empathy, engagement, and passion for the human experience in design and business decision making
- Collaborate and communicate with team members and stakeholders throughout the process
- Leads the research and rapid prototyping of ideas and solutions directly with consumers and customers.
- Helps lead the design thinking/user-driven innovation process with cross-functional team members.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, researchers, technologists, and business leads to deliver the best possible outcome.
- Clearly define the right problems to solve (“the what”) and ensure we have the right end to end solutions to solve them (“the how”).
- Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, human-computer interaction, human factors or a related field. Master's or Ph.D. preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in conducting primary and secondary research including observational studies, focus groups, and similar sessions. Specific focus on qualitative research is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience serving as the sole or lead researcher on UX projects required.
- Deep expertise and practice of the fundamentals in several research methodologies, especially ethnography, contextual inquiries, and rapid prototyping of concepts, as well as an ability to identify the right methodology given the learning objective.
- Experience and understanding in applied design thinking or the user-centered design process, especially in gaining empathy for users and testing prototypes, and having applied it extensively throughout career and hobbies.
- Prior experience designing low-fidelity wireframes preferred.
- Working knowledge of user experience design principles and best practices, agile software development process, and prototyping/design.
- Experience using storyboards, wireframes, rough screenshots or other visual aids for concepting research.
- Proven moderation skills in observation and interview sessions required.
- An ability to analyze and synthesize qualitative information and present the results to stakeholders.
- Relevant research experience with consumer applications in one of the following areas: insurance, financial services, and consumer technology.
- Exemplary ability to build positive, collaborative relationships across teams/groups/functions.
- Ability to switch easily between different projects, and flexibility to handle a rapidly changing environment while delivering quality results.
- Be process-driven and can lead teams through the design research process to deliver on-time and on quality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills, with ability to prioritize and manage multiple, parallel projects to the deadline in a fast-paced environment.
Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- Onward Search is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in an employment with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to be considered for employment. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The client is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- Onward Search is a drug-free workplace.
SHARE THIS JOB