Our client, a top gaming company, is looking for a Lighting Artist to join their team for a 1+ year contract.
As a Lighting Artist, you will partner with the Technical Art Director, Art Director, Rendering Engineers, and Senior Discipline Leads to define a cohesive, visionary look for Maxis titles. You will drive the quality and visual standards across multiple platforms and support the technical development for Maxi's projects. You will also participate in research and development to support new Art and Design-driven features unique to our projects by leveraging current methods and pipelines. You will proactively seek opportunities to elevate the game, enjoy improving workflows using emerging technologies, embrace constructive feedback, and thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
You will report to a Studio Development Director.
- You will partner with the Art Director and support the Senior Discipline Artists to develop and refine the lighting for our characters, environments, and gameplay modes
- You will create high-quality, real-time lighting solutions in-game using physically-based rendering
- You will research emerging technology and share suggestions with the Technical Art team on process and aesthetic improvements
- You will actively participate in milestone reviews
- You will review work from external partners and peers by participating in critiques
- Minimum of 4 years of production experience as a Lighting Artist
- A contributor on published titles from pre-production through to shipping
- An understanding of PBR lighting theory, current game tech, and development methods, for example PBR materials, real-time workflows, and subsurface scattering
- Working knowledge of industry-standard rendering methods (baked and real-time) for mobile and PC with an understanding of hardware scalability constraints
- Familiarity with optimization and tuning adjustments for performance to stay within technical budgets across multiple platforms
- Experience with lighting in the UE4 pipeline, including a desire to learn and develop hands-on skills working in UE5-Lumen
- An understanding of spatial composition and lighting techniques that influence mood, tone, and aesthetic within a scene (natural lighting, key lighting, three-point, etc.)
- A demonstrated understanding of rendering principles for human skin, hair, and clothing
- Experience collaborating with object/character/environment modelers, VFX artists, and rendering engineers to develop new solutions/tools/tech/pipelines
- Some proficiency in industry-standard software such as Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter/Designer, and Photoshop
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- A demonstrated sense of color theory, color grading, and correction
- Photography, cinematic, or traditional art background
- Shader authoring experience
- A passion for making and playing games
Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- Onward Search is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in an employment with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to be considered for employment. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Onward Search offers medical, dental, vision benefits, as well as a 401k program, for all eligible full time temporary assignments.
- Onward Search is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- Onward Search is a drug-free workplace.
SHARE THIS JOB