We are seeking a Managing Editor to join our Commerce Content team. You will be responsible for setting and executing our content strategy and rapidly expanding our reach across our brands and platforms. You will manage a team of writers with category expertise spanning fashion, beauty, skincare, accessories, home, kitchen, wellness, consumer electronics/tech, digital education, parenting, sports, fitness, wellness, holiday gifting and general lifestyle shopping trends. You will also pitch-in to assist with writing and editing content during tentpole commerce time periods like Prime Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
The Managing Editor will be an integral member of a commerce content team that collaborates on company-wide affiliate strategy and key initiatives across operations, editorial, product, sales, and marketing teams. You will help set commerce editorial priorities for key tentpoles, programs, and franchises.
Must have previous professional editing and management experience. Previous experience in product journalism or eCommerce is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Reporting to the Executive Editor, Commerce, you’ll assist the Executive Editor in managing the day-to-day production and performance of commerce content, ensuring they meet our editorial commerce guidelines and standards
- Assist in managing a team of lifestyle commerce writers across various verticals: style & beauty, parenting, fitness & wellness, home & living, tech/digital education and more
- Edit several commerce stories daily with a focus on voice, serviceability, product recommendations and storytelling format, as well as optimizing content for SEO, engagement and revenue
- Work with senior editors across VMG commerce ecosystem
- Manage freelancer budget and content
- Participate in brainstorms for new story ideas
- Juggle multiple projects and stories at once with varying deadlines
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience writing and editing lifestyle content in a newsroom setting, with an understanding of (and appreciation for) online shopping, internet trends and culture
- Experience managing direct reports
- Experience editing voice-y, first person stories, as well as in-depth, researched and reported SEO stories
- Strong knowledge of SEO and best practices for optimizing content for the web
- Deadline-driven, strategic thinker with strong editing skills and a knack for crafting click-y headlines
- Excellent copy editing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a CMS
- Bachelor's degree required
- Onward Search is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in an employment with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to be considered for employment. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Onward Search offers medical, dental, vision benefits, as well as a 401k program, for all eligible full time temporary assignments.
- Onward Search is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- Onward Search is a drug-free workplace.
SHARE THIS JOB