Onward Search is looking for an Associate Editor for one of our largest Media Clients sitting in NYC on a long term contract basis. This person will be reporting into the Managing Editor, where they will be responsible for writing, reviewing, rewriting and editing the work of staff and freelance journalists to ensure all content produced meets the editorial standards of the organization. The Associate Editor plays a crucial role in ideating, coordinating, planning, and developing impeccable content.
To fulfill the responsibilities as Associate Editor, the ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communication preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in journalism, editing or research required
- Enthusiasm, interpersonal skills, self-motivation and flexibility
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an exceptional command of English
- The ability to stay calm under pressure, work well with others and show initiative
- First-rate proofreading skills and attention to detail
- Experience creating, managing and adhering to budgets
- Knowledge of current affairs
- Excellent people, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Time management skills, including the ability to keep to tight deadlines
- Pre-sale/Development: (~15 hours/week)
- Average of 6 new RFPs per week
- Meet with sales and marketing to brainstorm content programs for RFPs
- Write compelling story pitches for RFP responses/proposals
- Answer questions for RFPs going through the pre-sale process, including building timelines, providing cost estimates and Brand Studio core deck, etc. Post-sale/Active: (~15 hours/week)
- Writing articles and other original material
- Updating and rewriting the material
- Leveraging your specialist knowledge to contribute ideas
- Sourcing freelancers or other authors to produce new materials
- Liaising with other in-house teams, writers, photographers, designers and production staff to negotiate and monitor timescales for stages in the publishing process
- Manage internal deadlines across projects
- Manage the gathering of assets for client deliverables, including articles, videos, tout, and social copy and rich media units
- Uploading text and images to websites using our content management systems
- Work with third-party vendors on rich media unit setup and QA
- Backcheck and QA client feedback
- Proofread stories for accuracy
- Proofread client-supplied content
- Get sign-off from Editorial Director of creative assets before delivery to client Ongoing: (~10 hours/week)
- Weekly Brand Studio Status meeting
- Daily Brand Studio Production Meeting
- Ad-hoc RFP brainstorms / Presentations / Active client status calls
- Update Editorial road map and alert about upcoming content launches
- Work with project manager on an ongoing basis to update pipeline and archive lost campaigns
Apply today to learn more about this opportunity!
- Onward Search is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in an employment with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to be considered for employment. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The client is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- Onward Search is a drug-free workplace.