Our client, a publishing company, is looking for a Print Designer (Editorial/Trade Books) with 3+ years of experience.
This is a contract-to-hire role, 40 hrs/wk onsite in San Francisco, CA.
This person will be responsible for the cover and interior design for a diverse list of trade books including art books, novels, and graphic novels. The ideal candidate will have a passion for great design, a commercial sensibility, and a strong interest in entertainment and pop culture.
- Executes design and overall visual development of trade books—from initial concept through print production— in a variety of formats, including illustrated books, art books, novels, and graphic novels
- Collaborates closely with the Editorial Director, Executive Editor, and Creative Director on concept development and execution
- Works with stakeholders (editors, authors, and licensing partners) to address feedback and revise layout and designs if necessary
- Hires and manages freelance designers, artists, illustrators, and photographers
- Designs and prepares select promotional and advertising materials for licensing, sales and marketing initiatives
- Interacts extensively with colleagues in other departments (Marketing, Sales, PR, etc.) to facilitate unified approaches to brand identity and product presentation
- Under guidance of Creative Director, collaborates with other designers on large-scale illustrated publishing projects
- Experience with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, HTML, and other digital publishing tools
- Experience and knowledge of page layout and typography fundamentals a MUST
- Experience and knowledge of print treatments and file preparation PREFERRED
- Knowledge of effective design strategies, particularly as applied to the publishing and entertainment industries
- Strong creative aesthetic and a demonstrated interest in book design a MUST
- Ability to successfully interact with prepress operators (both external and internal) to provide guidance and maintain the quality of product
- Proficiency with Mac operating systems and standard productivity software, including Microsoft Office suite and email clients
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers,and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
Does this sound like you, then do not hesitate to apply!
- Onward Search is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in an employment with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to be considered for employment. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The client is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- Onward Search is a drug-free workplace.