Onward Search is seeking a Retail Strategist at a top advertising agency in SF. This person is responsible for strategic leadership across several top-tier national retailers. The ideal candidate is well-immersed in omnichannel retail trends and consumer shopping behaviors, and is able to weave those insights into strategies that drive successful campaigns, inspire innovation and create the foundation for truly breakthrough retail experiences.
The position requires considerable experience in either an agency or client-side retail planning/strategy/innovation role (consumer technology / electronics retailer experience is a plus); high levels of resourcefulness, initiative, inventiveness, entrepreneurial zeal; and a firm grasp on the art of client service. Combining elements of traditional planning with innovations/business consulting, the position will work alongside Account, Creative, Media and Technology leads to define the approach our client take to meet their customer acquisition, conversion and loyalty goals in the rapidly evolving world of retail.
The Retail Strategist will also assist the lead Director of Strategy in managing the performance and growth of the Strategy team and will play a key role in nurturing and developing key existing and new business clients.
This is a contract to hire opportunity that kicks-off ASAP.
We’re looking for people with:
- 5-8 years of retail planning/strategy/innovation experience in an agency environment or retail client-side experience in a comparable discipline (consumer technology / electronics retailer experience is a plus)
- The ability to contribute the highest quality of strategic thinking against client needs, agency learning and thought-leadership opportunities across the industry
- Confidence guiding and executing the entirety of the strategic process, from kickoff to deliverable, across a span of projects ranging from campaigns to high-level innovation initiatives
- Excitement in helping further define the role, deliverables and tools used by the Strategy team, specifically in the areas of retail strategy and innovation
- Enthusiasm in managing a team of strategists and planners, including recruitment, training, day-to-day oversight and reviewing work before it ships to other teams and clients
- Natural diplomacy skills, seamlessly collaborating with other strategic discipline leads (Product, Comms, Planning), Account Services, Creative, Media, Data/Analytics and Technology colleagues, including senior management
- Rigor is understanding, defining and providing clarity to clients’ strategic needs and challenges, including frequent engagement with senior-level clients
- Experience managing qual/quant research projects, from initial recognition of need & methodology to vendor management, executional oversight and interpretation of output/reports in the context of client business needs
- The ability to advocate for, contribute to the design of and adhere to a data-driven learning agenda as part of the strategic recommendation process
- Understanding of 3rd-party & syndicated research tools & vendors, with the ability to identify, scope and propose the right mix of tools to meet agency and client needs
- Entrepreneurial thinker and do-er; comes up with a plan before being asked and doesn’t wait for instruction
- Superior writing and vocabulary skills with a portfolio of work to prove these skills have been honed across an array of briefs and strategic positioning documents
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Detail-oriented, even-tempered personality with clear communication skills
- A discipline to bring rigor to the process; with healthy dose of flexibility as required for success
- Bachelor’s Degree; preferably with a marketing, advertising or psychology background
- Strong command of MS Office Suite, especially in PowerPoint; Mac/PC fluency required
- Ability to travel (expected to be ~20% of your time, no international travel expected)
- Plus: A deep bench of contacts in the strategy world for ongoing recruitment and freelancing needs
- The client is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.