Onward Search is hiring for a UX Architect with VUI experience! This is a short-term contract in Charlotte, NC.
UX Architects are responsible for applying knowledge of user-centered design methods, human-computer interaction and industry best practices to drive useful and usable interface design solutions. This role is unique in its emphasis on conversational UI (including voice, virtual assistant, and chat) and creating consistent, innovative experiences across channels. This person will serve as the steward for the overall interaction model while championing ideas and designs that improve business results and exceed end user needs.
User Experience Architects are multi-faceted and possess proficiency in more than one UX discipline: Interaction Design, Information Architecture, Product Strategy, Experience Strategy and User Research. User Experience Architects are responsible for defining and delivering experiences that are engaging, usable, useful, and solve a true customer need. This person will work on interfaces that support our customers and agents alongside product managers, developers, stakeholders, and other UX practitioners.
- Partner with other UX practitioners currently working on experiences in the conversational UI space
- Work with product managers to assess and prioritize strategic opportunities
- Ability to design and envision future experiences in a dynamic environment by being mindful of how the experience needs to evolve over time
- Use design thinking methods to iterate through concepts that can be tested and validated with users
- Leverage data and user feedback to drive and influence design decisions
- Create customer journeys, storyboards and prototypes that communicate interaction and design ideas
- Develop detailed design specifications for transactional and informational voice, virtual assistant, and chat experiences
- Considerate of and focused on conceiving and delivering fantastic end-to-end, cross-channel experiences, with appreciation of flow, context, micro-interactions, multimodal possibilities, performance, and tone
- Contribute to and evangelize conversational UI design best practices and guidelines to ensure a consistent experience across the brand
- Be open to feedback and engage in active listening
- Work collaboratively with other UXD practitioners (UX Architects, Visual Designers, Creative Technologists, Content Strategist), Technologist, and management, on interaction design principles and best practices
- Motivated to continuously learn new skills and capabilities by monitoring consumer trends, attending workshops, joining professional groups and mentoring others in UX design methodologies
- 3+ years as a UX designer in highly collaborative environments
- Experience as a VUI or conversation designer highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in: Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Linguistics, English, Information Sciences, Psychology, and/or Human Factors
- Experience in building user-centric conversation experiences (voice and chat) in an agile environment
- Knowledgeable about the differences between written vs. spoken natural language, as well as multimodal inputs
- Experience in designing and tuning directed dialog and natural language speech grammars. Expertise working with voice talents, coaching “in context”
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of relevant topics in discourse analysis, pragmatics, and prosody
- Extremely passionate & knowledgeable about voice user interface design, interaction design and information architecture as disciplines
- Excellent communication, organization and time management skills
- Proficient in MS Visio, OmniGraffle, or similar tools
- Understands the constraints of technology platforms: Interactive Voice Response systems, Natural Language Processing, and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Ability to communicate and present concepts both verbally and visually
- Must be able to share work that conveys depth and breadth of previous design work
- The client is unable to support 1099 / Corp-to-Corp or Independent Contractor arrangements at this time. All freelancers will be paid as W2 employees.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.